Thailand and South Africa: 25 Years of Partnership
With diplomatic relations between Thailand and South Africa reaching a quarter century later this year, the seminar explored how we can take the cordial relations to the next level, looking at future opportunities to cooperate both politically and economically.
As leading members of their respective regional economic communities, Association of Southeast Asian Nations and the Southern African Development Community, we also took a comparative look at how each country has managed regional and global issues, drawing lessons from each country’s experiences.
View all the presentations by Damrong Kraikruan, Deputy Permanent Secretary of Foreign Affairs of Thailand, senior members of the Thai Embassy and our research teams.
- Opening Remarks by H.E Damrong Kraikruan, Deputy Permanent Secretary of Foreign Affairs of Thailand
- Presentation: Thailand and South Africa: The Historical Friendship
- Video: Opening Session – Introductory remarks by Ms Elizabeth Sidiropoulos, Chief Exectutive of SAIIA and Welcome remarks by H.E Damrong Kraikruan, Deputy Permanent Secretary of Foreign Affairs of Thailand
- Video: Session One: ‘Thailand and South Africa: The Historical Friendship’ by Mr Assarof Sasanakul, First Secretary, Royal Thai Embassy in Pretoria
- Video: Session Two: ‘A Shared Future: Challenges and Opportunities’ by H.E Mr Geoffrey Doidge, Ambassador of the Republic of South Africa to Thailand and H.E Mr Komate Kamalanavin, Ambassador -Designate of Thailand to South Africa
- Video: Session Three: ’25 Years of Partnership: Comparative Perspectives on Thailand and South Africa’s Roles in Regional and Global Issues’ by Dr Cobus van Staden, Ms Elizabeth Sidiropoulos, Steven Gruzd and Mr Boonparlit