SAIIA has undertaken two studies, with one focusing on macadamia nut value chains in Malawi, Mozambique and South Africa and the other focusing on oilseed value chains in Malawi, South Africa and Zambia.
This workshop aims to bring together relevant policy makers and stakeholders to discuss the opportunities and challenges for investment in these value chains and to provide sustainable policy recommendations that will help promote economic development in the region.
This event will focus on agro-processing value chain themes and trends, including:
- Recent investment in macadamia nut and oilseeds in Malawi, South Africa and Mozambique;
- Market access and information barriers;
- Integration of smallholder farmers;
- Production and processing challenges; and
- The potential for regional value chains within Southern Africa
This workshop will include presentations from SAIIA researchers Asmita Parshotam and Chelsea Markowitz, an independent consultant from Mozambique, Lucilio Gerson Daniel, and representatives from USAID Southern Africa Trade and Investment Hub. The workshop will also host respondents from Zambia and Malawi.
- Chelsea Markowitz: Soybean value chain analysis: Experiences from Zambia, Malawi and South Africa
- Asmita Parshotam: Cultivating a Macadamia Nut Regional Value Chain in Southern Africa
- Gerson Daniel: Macadamia case study: Mozambique
- Sifiso Ntombela: The Role of Private Public Partnerships in Regional Value Chain Development
- Henri Minnaar: The Role of Private Public Partnerships in Regional Value Chain Development: Models of collaboration