Location: This position is based at SAIIA’s offices in Johannesburg
Duration: Fixed-term contract from 15 May 2019 – 30 September 2019.
Hours: Two days a week
The Associate Editor will provide editorial and administrative support to the managing editor of the Africa Portal.
- Commission and edit commentary and analysis on current affairs and African policy issues for the Africa Portal website
- Plan and co-ordinate the editorial calendar to ensure topical and regular content updates
- Identify suitable writers/researchers
- Assist in social media community management, including writing copy
- Upload text and images to the website using a content management system
- Research and brainstorm content ideas that align with the editorial direction of the Africa Portal
- Contribute to reports and/or marketing activities as needed
- A tertiary qualification in Journalism, International Relations or a related field
- Top-notch writing and copy-editing skills
- Firm grasp of African policy issues and current affairs
- Digital and social media skills
- Ability to work well in a team and keep to tight deadlines
- Experience in working with content management systems
- Work experience in the media/publishing/policy research field
To apply, submit a CV, motivational letter quoting clearly the reference number of the position you are applying for and two examples of written work or links to them to Shannon Gard (see email option on the right).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be called in for an interview. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
SAIIA will make an appointment in line with its employment equity policy. SAIIA reserves the right not to make an appointment.