The South African Institute of International Affairs (SAIIA) is an independent, non-governmental international affairs think-tank. SAIIA is seeking an intern for its youth programmes.
Youth Programmes Intern
SAIIA has grown its Youth Development Programme substantially over recent years. The outreach programme fosters awareness of international relations and stimulates young South Africans to engage with such issues, thereby cultivating future leaders. SAIIA currently runs three national youth programmes: the Environmental Sustainability Project, Model United Nations, and Inter-school Quizzes. Each of these programmes feed into our annual SAIIA Young Leaders Conference. Our programmes reach a wide range of schools, creating a forum where young people and educators from various cultural, religious and socio-economic backgrounds are able to come together to not just identify issues, but to also start creating solutions.
SAIIA is currently offering a Youth Programmes internship for a motivated and proactive university student.
The successful applicant must have experience with Model United Nations, and be excited about working with high school learners and teachers. Experience in environmental initiatives and previous volunteer experience with Youth@SAIIA is advantageous.
The Youth Programmes intern will be responsible for working with SAIIA’s Youth Development Officer to:
- Provide administrative and logistical support for Youth@SAIIA’s various events and conferences
- Assist in organising tutoring for high school learner participants
- Assist in organising topic talks and workshops for learners, teachers and university students
- Assist in writing Model United Nations and Environmental Sustainability topics guides
- Assist the Youth Development Officer in contributing to and maintaining Youth@SAIIA’s web and social media presence
- Ability to work 15-20 hours a week
- Ability to work independently on assigned projects
- Currently enrolled in a degree seeking programme at a university in Gauteng (position is based at SAIIA Headquarters in Braamfontein, Johannesburg). Students need to have completed at least three years of study to apply.
- Good planning and organising skills
- Previous experience with Model United Nations (experience with environmental programmes advantageous)
How to Apply:
Applicants must submit a motivational letter and a CV by email to Desiree Kosciulek at email@example.com or by fax at 086 295 1064.
Closing date: 6 February 2015.
SAIIA reserves the right not to make an appointment.