Reporting to the Chief Executive, the successful candidate will be responsible for leading and managing the communications efforts of the Institute and coordinating its public communications (media, online, publications and events). This position requires a strategic, creative and online-savvy person who will bring the relevant communication tools together into one cohesive strategy, developing targeted methods of engagement that optimise the impact of our work.
Head of Communications (Ref HOC11/2021) Permanent Contract (Salary band: R780k-R900k)
- Designs and implements SAIIA’s overarching communications and dissemination strategy, integrating online, events and multimedia elements to maximise the influence and impact of its work.
- Develops new ways to make SAIIA’s work relevant to key audiences, developing timely content and analysis, and creating innovative opportunities for engagement with key external audiences.
- Oversees the production of meaningful and engaging content; quality assures all external communications content; and ensures it complies with SAIIA’s brand style guide.
- Oversees relevant staff and service providers to ensure that the technical aspects of SAIIA’s online platforms are robust and responsive, are updated regularly in line with best practice, and are accessible and attractive to the target audience.
- Manages and co-ordinates the reporting for the communications department, with a strong focus on measurement, analytics and learning; undertakes audience analyses to develop and monitor the effectiveness of the above strategies; and makes any necessary corrective changes.
- Is responsible for leading and developing team members and enhancing the communications skills of programme staff members.
- Manages all budget and expenditure requirements relating to the communications department
Experience, skills, qualifications
- A post-graduate qualification in social sciences, journalism or brand marketing.
- Between 5 and 8 years in a senior strategic communications role
- Proven experience working with diverse teams at various levels
- Knowledge of SEO and CMS
- Detail orientated
- Preference will be given to candidates with working experience in the think tank or policy research sector
For more information on SAIIA and its research agenda please visit www.saiia.org.za. Applications, clearly quoting the reference number of the position that you are applying for and with your contact details, should be submitted to email@example.com. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. Applications close on 06 December 2021. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Preference will be given to South African citizens and employment equity candidates. SAIIA reserves the right not to make an appointment.