Substantive knowledge of an African region would also be an advantage. At least five years of senior research experience on the topic, a publication record in these themes, along with a relevant outstanding post-graduate educational qualification, preferably at PhD level are required. Excellent writing, research and time management skills are essential, as are computer skills and own transport. Mandarin language skills would be a significant advantage. This is a senior position with significant research delivery and fund-raising responsibilities.
This position would involve travel within Africa and abroad (depending on COVID travel restrictions). The appointment would be for an initial two-year period, with the possibility of extension based on securing additional funding.
Senior Researcher/Fellow – China Africa (SRAGDP22) Fixed Term Contract (Salary band, depending on experience: R610,000 to R810,000)
- Identifying and taking principal fundraising responsibility for team projects
- Preparing and submitting applications to funders and sponsors for research projects
- Establishing and running innovative research projects on own areas of expertise, in conjunction with other programme staff, and ensuring achievement of deliverables
- Producing written research for publication by SAIIA
- Commissioning work from external researchers and overseeing the publication process
- Undertaking ongoing strategic engagement and networking
- Ensuring events and policy dissemination of work have optimum impact
- Contributing to monitoring, evaluation and programme reporting
- Maintaining relations with programme funders
Experience, skills, qualifications
- At least a Masters degree in the relevant field. PhD preferred.
- Proven publishing record and expertise in the above-mentioned fields
- At least five years relevant experience (as per above) and well-established networks in the aforementioned research areas.
- A proven track record of project fundraising – minimum of five years’ experience.
- Proficiency in MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, MS Project).
Candidate should submit:
- A motivational letter quoting clearly the reference number of the position that they are applying for
- A comprehensive CV
- Academic transcripts of qualifications
- The names of three contactable references and two written references
- Two examples of (preferably short) articles published in the last year.
- A comprehensive publication list.
For more information on SAIIA and its research agenda please visit www.saiia.org.za. Applications, clearly quoting the reference number of the position that they are applying for and with their contact details, should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be called in for an interview. Applications close on 11 February 2022. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Preference will be given to South African citizens and employment equity candidates. SAIIA reserves the right not to make an appointment.