The Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS), otherwise known as the Konrad Adenauer Foundation, is a German political foundation named after the first chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany. KAS operates worldwide with the aim to promote democracy through political education and training.
KAS funds an internship programme in conjunction with SAIIA’s Cape Town office. Applicants for the SAIIA/KAS Cape Town-based scholarship must apply for, and be admitted into a Master’s Programme at the Political Science Departments of either the University of Cape Town, Stellenbosch University or the University of the Western Cape.
The programme is output-focused and the KAS-SAIIA scholars, who are assigned to mentors, generally go on to high-profile and high-powered positions in public and private life. The scholars are supported in honing their methodological, research and writing skills, and are encouraged to:
- Co-publish newspaper articles on topics relevant to the work of SAIIA and their studies;
- Co-author articles in SAIIA publications; and
- Improve their presentation and organisational skills.
To apply for Cape Town based scholarship, kindly forward the following information by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A letter of motivation outlining your research interests and how you hope to use the skills gained at SAIIA in the long term;
- A full CV;
- Two written references (with names, addresses and phone numbers);
- June Honours degree results and academic transcripts of previous degrees; and
- One example of written work not exceeding 2,500 words on a topic of your choice.
The closing date for the 2021 Cape Town intake is 16 October 2020.