The Accountant will develop an in-depth understanding of project and programme budgets and will monitor and report programme financial performance in accordance with the requirements of the different donor and organisational requirements. He/she will support the production of the Institute’s management accounts and fixed assets register. This is a 12-month contract, renewable based on performance.
• Prepare monthly donor reports, supporting schedules as well as monthly and annual reconciliations of expenditure of donor reports.
• Prepare monthly balance sheet reconciliations.
• Ensure that financial reports are timeously circulated, are accurate and reliable.
• Take responsibility for the fixed asset register and supporting processes.
• Assist the Head of Finance with compiling the management accounts.
• Support financial aspects of programme audits and ensure audit requirements and recommendations are monitored.
• Provide support and coaching to the Junior Accountant.
• Ensure compliance with legislation, international accounting best practice and standards.
Essential experience, skills, qualifications
• A bachelors degree in accounting/financial management
• Accredited accountant from a recognised accountancy body – desirable
• A minimum of 10 years’ experience in financial management and administration
• Advanced Excel skills, including complex financial formulae
• Experience in PASTEL accounting system
• Ability to create positive relationships with donors, project teams and other stakeholders across the organisation
• Excellent English skills: communication and written
• Good planning and organisation skills
• Flexible approach to work and willing to play a full role in ensuring the success of the team
• Proven track record in preparing monthly management and donor reports to deadlines and required standards
How to apply
Candidates for this position should submit a motivational letter clearly quoting the reference number ACC03/2020, a comprehensive CV, together with the names of three referees with their contact details to Shannon Gard (Shannon.firstname.lastname@example.org) by 20 March 2020.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be called in for an interview. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
SAIIA will make an appointment in line with our employment equity policy. SAIIA reserves the right not to make an appointment.