- The ‘circular economy’ concept is highly relevant to African island states, given that they are dependent on resource extraction and generate significant amounts of waste.
- Appropriate policy action and multi-stakeholder partnerships are needed to scale emerging good practice related to the circular economy in African island states.
- An enabling policy and regulatory environment is needed to develop further circular economy practices in African island states, including addressing incentives that favour current extraction-based and wasteful production and consumption patterns.
- Broader knowledge among all stakeholder groupings, including policymakers, business and the broader public, is needed to strengthen the adoption of circular economy practices.
- Circular economy practices can play a key part in helping African island states in their ambitions to develop sustainable Blue Economies.