- The COVID-19 pandemic has underscored global dependence on the Internet.
- In the face of travel restrictions and lockdowns, social media has become crucial in the maintenance of personal relationships, working environments and day-to-day activities.
- Governments and public health authorities have used these platforms to keep the public informed of the latest developments in the fight against the pandemic.
- Even in Africa, despite the existing digital divide, social media and mobile Internet networks have proven their usefulness during the pandemic.
- Apart from the digital divide, fake news and government scepticism about social media are also challenging the establishment of social media as a lasting e-government tool.
- Digital innovation in South Africa during the pandemic serves as a positive example to other African countries of the future of e-government on the continent.